If you are reading this blog, you must have asked yourself ‘Should I work in aged care’ at least once in your life. The aged population is at its highest level in human history. What this means is that due to a higher life expectancy, there will be more and more people requiring aged care services and more career opportunities for people who have the talent, the interest in and the professional background to provide assistance to older persons.
If your hesitations about the industry revolve around employment opportunities, this option is a safe one. However, if your hesitations involve questions like ‘will I enjoy it?’, ‘will the work be diverse enough?’ or ‘will I get bored?’, the following quiz will help you out:
Which sentence best describes you?
- I love developing meaningful relationships with people
- I love getting the job done in the quickest way possible
- I love keeping to myself and working quietly to achieve my tasks
I believe older people have wisdom and stories that I could learn from.
- Yes, definitely
- I don’t really care
- No, I can find anything I need to on the internet
Which work environment best suits you?
- Dynamic and hands-on, involving my mind and also physical labour
- Sitting behind a desk
- As long as I’m outdoors, I’m happy!
Healthcare is something that:
- Really interests me. I’m always looking for ways to be healthier and/or to care for others who are sick
- It’s necessary, thank goodness for doctors!
- I don’t think about it unless I’m sick
Your friend is very sick after eating bad oysters in a restaurant. Do you:
- Look after them and make sure they have water and a doctor’s appointment booked
- Make sure someone else is looking after them
- Are they sick? I didn’t even notice
If you selected majority 1, you should seriously consider aged care. If you didn’t and you’re still interested, check out the links below for more information about what our courses will provide you with! Alternatively, take our child care quiz to see if that industry is more aligned with your interests and passions.
Certificate III in Individual Support (CHC33015)
Certificate IV in Ageing Support (CHC43015)
Advanced Diploma of Community Sector Management (CHC62015)
Not sure how much you will get paid in aged care? Click here to find out!
Get Selmar’s blogs in your inbox in a second! Subscribe to get our latest blogs now.