Take the first step into a rewarding aged care career. Gain the skills, knowledge, and confidence to make a difference in this vital sector.
FEE FREE* | 4 WEEK PROGRAM + TRAINEESHIP
With the continual rise in our ageing population, the aged care profession is one of Australia’s fastest growing sectors.
Initially available to residents in the Sydney Metro, Greater Western Sydney, Newcastle or Orange areas, our Aged Care Employment Program provides the foundational skills to confidently enter the aged care workforce. Learners are also provided with mentorship and trainer support throughout the entire program.
Learners undertake a comprehensive 4-week Work Readiness Program to prepare for a career in Aged Care. Upon successful completion of the Work Readiness Program, learners will open a pathway into a CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support traineeship with highly regarded and leading aged care provider Uniting NSW.ACT.
Work Readiness Program
The Work Readiness Program is a 4-week, full-time online program that provides the foundational skills, behavioural skills and mindsets to set learners up for success in a career as an aged care worker. Proudly powered by Generation Australia.
CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support and Uniting Traineeship
Participants who successfully complete the Work Readiness Program will transition into a 12-month CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support traineeship with Uniting. This will provide a nationally-recognised qualification to work in aged care with on-the-job learning as a trainee with Uniting. Traineeships may be full-time or part-time, depending on need. At this stage, traineeships are only offered in the Sydney Metro, Greater Western Sydney, Newcastle or Orange areas however this is expected to expand into other regions for our 2022 programs.
On successful completion, learners will be awarded a nationally recognised qualification and be ready for a career as a Care Service Employee with Uniting.
Certificate III in Individual Support
Ageing or Home & Community
Work Readiness Program – 4 weeks, online, Monday – Friday, 9.30am – 2.30pm
Traineeship – 12 months (full-time/part-time)
Please register your interest for our next intake starting in May 2022.
Government funding & fees
The entire Aged Care Workforce Program (Work Readiness Program and CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support) will be delivered at no cost to eligible participants.
Work Readiness Program
- Person-centred approach to care
- Grooming, dressing and bathing an elderly person
- Assisting an elderly person with nutrition and hydration
- Using a walker or wheelchair
- Managing health and safety of elderly people
- Adaptive communication & confidentiality
- Facilitating empowerment of the elderly
- Growth mindset
- Personal responsibility
- Future orientation
Traineeship Learning Outcomes Work Experience
– Infection control
– Safe work practices for direct client care
– Provide individualised support
– Support independence and wellbeing
– Recognise healthy body systems
– Assist clients with medications
– Work legally and ethically
– Work with diverse people
– Providing dementia support
– Deliver care using a palliative approach
During the traineeship, learners will assist clients with daily tasks such as showering, shaving, dressing and eating; support their mobility through the use of hoists, wheelchairs and other equipment; and ensure social needs of clients are met by helping them engage with recreational and leisure activities.
Program Streams Traineeship Delivery Locations
In a Residential Aged Care environment, responsibilities may include:
- Providing a wide range of personal care services to residents
- Supervising daily hygiene – showers or baths, shaving, cutting nails; lay out clothes and assist in dressing; make beds and tidy rooms; store clothes and clean wardrobes
- Assisting and supporting residents with medication utilising medication compliance aids; simple wound dressing, etc.
- Assisting with meals and feeding
- Recognising, reporting and responding appropriately to changes in condition of residents
In a Home & Community Care environment, responsibilities may include:
- Helping around the home: Assisting with housekeeping, grocery shopping and meal preparation
- Personal care: Help with showering and getting dressed
- Transport: Getting to appointments or going on shopping trips
- Social and wellbeing: Encourage social connectedness through conversation, outings and other activities
The Work Readiness Program will be run 100% online. The 1-year traineeship will involve a combination of in-person work and online/in-person study. The options for traineeships are listed below – you must be able to complete your traineeship in at least one of the below locations in order to apply for this opportunity.
For the Residential Aged Care stream, traineeships are available at the following locations:
- Southern Sydney: Peakhurst 2210
- Inner West Sydney: Lilyfield 2040, Haberfield 2045, Leichhardt 2040
- Northern Beaches: Belrose 2085
- Western Sydney: Westmead 2145, Springwood 2777, Bankstown 2200
- Riverina: Tumut 2720, Griffith 2680
For the Home & Community Care stream, traineeships are available at the following locations:
- Orange 2800 (and surrounding suburbs)
- Port Stephens (and surrounding suburbs)
- Southern Central Coast (and surrounding suburbs)
Eligibility criteria and course requirements
- Not currently in education or full-time employment
- Over the age of 18 when commencing the traineeship
- Able to commit to the full duration of the program
- Available and willing to commit to full program duration (4-Week Work Readiness Program and 12-month Traineeship)
- Australian citizen/permanent resident, or a New Zealand passport holder who has been a resident in Australia for more than six months, or a person who holds an eligible visa
- Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) skills at the ACSF level 2
- Have a P2 or full NSW driver’s license and access to a reliable, registered and fully insured car (Home and Community stream only)
- Evidence of flu and COVID-19 vaccination is required to work in an aged care setting. For more information, check the NSW health department website.
Employer suitability checks
- Likely to pass a police check and NDIS check
- Willing to take a functional assessment (to assess your physical ability to perform routine tasks)
By the end of the program, participants should be able to achieve these performance goals:
- Treat all individuals with empathy, dignity and respect, focusing on empowerment and person-centered approaches to make informed decisions
- Demonstrate key technical skills associated with the Care Worker role, including direct care, clinical care, accurate documentation, and non-care tasks so all individuals can thrive
- Establish and maintain respectful relationships professionally with individuals, carers, families and work collaboratively with other professionals
- Demonstrate clear, calm and professional active communication with individuals, colleagues, supervisors, and community members
- Demonstrate ability to adhere to quality and safeguarding frameworks for safe and hygienic work practices
The Aged Care Employment Program is delivered online and in the workplace.
The Work Readiness Program component is a 4-week, full-time online program that will help learners develop the personal and technical skills to commence a traineeship as a care worker. The program runs from 9.30am – 2.30pm on Monday – Friday, and will include a mix of online-classroom and individual learning. The program will be led by qualified and experienced Selmar trainers, and include holistic support from experienced mentors.
Upon successful completion of the Work Readiness Program, learners will gain entry into the CHC33015 Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing) traineeship with Uniting, consisting of both online and workplace training.
Selmar programs powered by Generation aim to provide meaningful and holistic support to help you on your professional journey. We recognise that every participant has diverse backgrounds, challenges and goals; so we provide mentorship support that is tailored to your unique circumstances.
Learners will be assigned to a mentor while enrolled in the Work Readiness Program, who will work with the learner to identify goals, work through personal challenges and help build practical skills and emotional intelligence. Mentorship is a requirement for completing the program. Mentors will conduct formal check-ins with learners throughout the program.