Figuring out what you want to do after school can be both terrifying and overwhelming, especially with so many different options out there.
If you’ve been thinking about a career in child care, there are a number of different opportunities that move beyond working in a child care centre. You can be an Au Pair in any country around the world, work in before and after school care or babysitting. You also have the opportunity to upskill later down the track if you want to work in a school, or if you want to open your own centre and become a business owner.
If you aren’t sure whether the child care industry is right for you, take the quiz below.
Are you interested in human behaviour and performance, differences in an individual’s ability, personality, and interests and the assessment and treatment of behavioural and affective disorders?
- No way
- Yes, I find it fascinating
- Kind of, I guess
Which statement sounds most like you?
- I want a job that really helps people
- I want to equip children with skills and knowledge to last a lifetime
- I want to work in a place where things are constantly changing
At family occasions, what are you most likely to be doing?
- Sitting with the adults making polite conversation
- Sitting on the floor with the kids playing with toys
- Aware that there are children around but not really caring what they’re up to
Mixing red paint and blue paint will give you?
What kind of working environment can you see yourself in?
- Sitting behind a desk
- In an environment that is dynamic and hands-on, with some creative autonomy
- As long as I am outdoors and keeping active, I’m happy
You hear a baby crying. You:
- Call someone else to deal with it
- Make sure the baby is not in any danger or pain and try to figure out the cause
- Leave them – they’ll get over it
If the majority of your answers were number 2, then you should seriously consider the child care industry. If not, but you’re still interested in child care, write down a list of exactly why you’re interested, and whether there are other industries or roles that align with similar skills or interests.
If you haven’t done so yet, check out our website for more information about our Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care, Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care and the Certificate IV in School Age Education and Care. These links give you plenty more information about what you’ll learn and how you can apply the skills you’ll learn in your career.
Not sure how much you will get paid in child care? Click here to find out!
Get Selmar’s blogs in your inbox in a second! Subscribe to get our latest blogs now.