What can I claim — top student tax deductions

Top 5 tax hacks for students

If you’re a student who’s wondering ‘ What can I claim at tax time? ‘, you might be surprised to learn of these five hacks to maximise your tax return. Don’t let these tax deductions slip past you while you’re studying.

what can I claim

With tax time coming up at the end of the month, now is your last chance to enrol in some extra training to enhance your knowledge and career. If you’re not a student currently but have been thinking about upskilling for your current job, you will need enrol by June 30, 2018 to claim it in this financial year!

‘So, what can I claim on tax as a student?’

The Australian Tax Office (ATO) allows you to claim your self-education expenses, so if your course is related to your current job, or likely to help you earn more in your current job, you can claim it. As the ATO puts it, the course must:

  • maintain or improve the specific skills or knowledge you require in your current employment, or
  • result in, or is likely to result in, an increase in your income from your current employment.

There are a range of expenses you can claim at tax time as a student — here are five you don’t want to forget about.


  1. Course fees

The cost of your course is a tax deduction as long as it comes under the rules around self-education expenses as touched on above.


  1. Home office expenses

Obviously if you’re studying, you need a comfortable study environment. If you’re setting up a home office or study to optimise your study time, you can claim things like internet access, software and printer cartridges.


  1. Stationery

Being a student who also works can be a juggle at times but invest in a good yearly planner to stay on top of everything and claim it at tax time! You can also claim any other necessary stationery such as paper, notebooks, pens and highlighters.


  1. Computer decline value and repairs

These days a computer is an essential study tool and as a student training to enhance your career, you claim its decline in value (depreciation) over the length of its life. You can claim any necessary repairs too.


  1. Textbooks or trade manuals

Make sure you have the right materials for your course with the knowledge that you can claim them at the end of the financial year.


Students and tax — getting it right

If you find tax deductions and returns confusing, using a respected reputable tax professional can ensure you maximise your return based on your individual circumstances — and get it right from the beginning. Plus, your income tax professional’s fee for their service is tax deductible too!

The same principles should apply when choosing a training provider. Not all course providers deliver high quality qualifications, so it’s vital that you do your research and choose a registered training organisation that is respected within the industry. This is especially important when you are aiming to gain qualifications in an industry like aged care or child care. You will need a training provider with a focus on practical, hands-on learning to ensure you graduate capable, confident and career-ready.

Selmar Institute of Education specialises in aged care and child care courses,with a focus on real world skills. Our highly regarded courses incorporate a practical placement component so you can get essential experience to thrive in your chosen industry.

Fit your training into your life while still enjoying the support of knowledgeable, dedicated trainers with interactive and user-friendly online learning. Teamed with the understanding that students could claim course fees and associated expenses at tax time, what better way to further your career?!

It’s important to note that this is general tax information and is not professional taxation advice. Get in touch with the ATO or a tax professional to find how this information applies to your own unique circumstances.

Make an enquiry

Facebook IG Instagram LinkedIn Youtube
1300 223 040Enquire Now