Choosing the best funding option for your training 

If taking up VET training is on your to-do list, you’ve probably thought about how you’ll pay for it. What funding options are available for your childcare or aged care course and which are you eligible for? 

Let’s summarise the options available to you when you undertake training so you can go ahead and choose the best funding option for you. It’s important to note that the options for funding your training will vary from state to state, so make sure you look into the state that you’ll be studying in.  

Government funding options for your training 


The Skills First Program gives eligible students access to government funded aged care courses and childcare courses at Selmar. What does this mean? Essentially, the Victorian Government pays for some or all of course fees for your chosen course. 

To be eligible for a government funded training place, you need to meet this criteria 

  • Have physical presence in Victoria while undertaking the Qualification 
  • Be Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen 
  • Commence a maximum of 2 government subsidised courses in a year 
  • Undertake a maximum of 2 government subsidised courses at any one time 
  • Commence a maximum of 2 government subsidised courses at the same level within the AQF in their lifetime 
  • All candidates under 20 years of age 
  • Candidates 20 years and older and ‘upskilling’ by seeking to enrol in a course at a higher level than their existing qualification 


The NSW Government delivers subsidised training for eligible students under their Smart and Skilled Program. Much like in Victoria, a government funded place in your course means either a portion or all of your course fees will be covered by the Smart and Skilled Program funding. 

The criteria you’ll need to meet includes: 

  • Be 15 years or older 
  • No longer at school 
  • Living or working in New South Wales 
  • Be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, humanitarian visa holder or New Zealand citizen 


When undertaking VET qualifications in Queensland, you’ll have access to subsidies such as the Certificate 3 Guarantee, the Higher Level Skills program and Fee-Free Training for Year 12 Graduates. 

To explore these government subsidy options, head to our Queensland fees and funding page. 

Make it manageable with payment plans 

Some RTOs will offer a payment plan which takes away the pressure and stress of having to come up with a lump sum to get started in your course.  

At Selmar, we offer Catalyst Plus interestfree student loans, which are effectively payment plans that enable you to pay off your course fees in instalments over a designated period of time. And don’t worry, there are no catches or additional fees – meaning you can get on with your training knowing exactly what you’ll be up for.  

Student Loans to cover your training 

At Selmar we are among a selected number of RTOs that are government-approved providers of VET Student Loans (VSL). This means eligible students can access a VET Student Loan to get your fees paid upfront at a Diploma or Advanced Diploma level. Start studying sooner and repay the loan when your earnings surpass the minimum threshold. 

The criteria to access VET Student Loans includes: 

  • citizenship and residency criteria (be an Australian Citizen, qualifying New Zealand Citizen or permanent humanitarian visa holder who is usually resident in Australia. See tab below for further information) 
  • the government’s academic suitability requirements (See tab below for further information) 
  • be studying with an approved course provider 
  • be studying an approved course 
  • apply using the approved Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) 
  • confirm your commitment throughout the duration of your course to continue to access the loan. 
  • have a fee balance more than zero ($0) 
  • be eighteen (18) years of age or older unless you have a parental consent form signed by a responsible parent, or can satisfy being independent under the Social Security Act 1991, and can provide evidence on Centrelink Income Statement 
  • meet TAX File number requirements 
  • have or obtain a Unique Student Identifier (USI) 
  • supply the required evidence/documentation to submit loan application 
  • submit the application form by the first census date or no less than two (2) business days after enrolling. 

 Other funding considerations for your training 

It’s worth considering whether you are eligible for a scholarship, such as the Rural and Regional Enterprise Scholarship to cover your study fees. 

Centrelink offers financial support to students and trainees in the form of assistance payments such as Youth Allowance, Austudy or even scholarships or loans for those eligible. 

 We can help find the right funding option for you 

Our team helps you to discover the funding options available to them every day. Talk to Selmar and let’s find out the best way for you to cover your course fees and get started on your chosen career path right away! 

Contact us today.


Make an enquiry

Facebook IG Instagram LinkedIn Youtube
1300 223 040Enquire Now